Friday 5 October 2012

My first Cake - An Eggless Cake made in a Cooker!

So, today after weeks (months) of procrastination I finally decided to write this blog to share my experience and journey to this wonderful world of Baking. I started Baking in December 2011 when I have quit my job at Ernst and Young and was planning to get married soon. Like any other girl, I thought of wooing my future husband with some wonderful dishes (believe me it totally works..;)) and also to satisfy my taste buds (I am a big time foodie!) I decided to learn something which I totally love...a plain Vanilla Cake

Being born and brought in an Indian Jain family, where eggs have no entry in the house, I learnt this eggless cake from my cousin's wife ('bhabhi' in Hindi) who is a wonderful cook herself. I baked this cake within first week of my entry to my husband's house to impress my mother-in law with my culinary skills. From the reactions, I guess I was successful. :) 

This cake is very simple, doesn't need any fancy equipment to stir or even to bake. You can simply mix the ingredients by hand with the help of a spatula and bake it in pressure cooker which is a default cooking appliance in any Indian household. M sure the aroma of this cake baking in cooker will give you a sense of accomplishment. This cake is perfect with breakfast or afternoon tea or any time of the day. 

VANILLA CAKE...As simple as it gets.

Here's what you gonna need:-

1 portion* Malai/ cream (butter) at room temperature
1-1/4 portion granulated white sugar (You can also ground the normal sugar for 1 minute in the grinder)
3/4 portion milk powder
1 portion milk
3 portion - all purpose flour
1 tsp - vanilla extract
1 tsp - baking powder
1/4 tsp - baking soda 

* Here I have used the word portion as it is not standard. You can use any small sized bowl (katori) for the measurement. 

For baking:- 

1 big size pressure cooker (remove the gasket and whistle from the cover of your cooker)
1 round cooling ring
1 stainless steel bowl with flat surface which fits properly inside the pressure cooker placed on the cooling ring

Here's how you gonna make it:-
  • In a large bowl, add malai and whisk it for 30 seconds to make it smooth.
  • Add granulated white sugar (sifted) and fold it properly in Malai.
  • Add vanilla essence and whisk the mixture.
  • In another bowl sift all the other dry ingredients like milk powder, all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix it with the help of a whisk/ spatula. 
  • Add dry ingredient (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternatively starting and ending with  the dry ingredients. Stir until all the ingredients combine nicely into the batter.
  • Put the cooling ring inside the cooker and place it on gas stove with the lid on at medium heat for about 5 minutes. 
  • Grease the baking pan with some butter and dust a thin layer of all purpose flour. Alternatively, you can cover the baking pan with a piece of parchment paper or butter paper and grease it lightly with some butter.
  • Pour the batter into the baking bowl and carefully keep it inside the cooker (care should be taken while placing the bowl into the cooker, use a kitchen towel or gloves while doing this)
  • Cover the cooker with the lid and let it cook at simmer for about 50-60 minutes.
  • You can open the lid and check the cake after 50 minutes. Insert a knife in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done. If not, let it cook for next 10 - 15 minutes. Keep checking after every 5 minutes. 
  • This cake is best to have the day it is made and can stay good for 3-4 days in an air-tight container in room temperature. 
Variations:- 
  • You can add 1 cup of choco-chips in the batter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home