Sunday 19 May 2013

Karachi Bakery Style Homemade Fruit Cookies (Eggless)


One of the best baked things I have grown up eating are Karachi Bakery's  Fruit Cookies(the famous Hyderabad based Bakery). I had gone to this bakery as a kid with my Mom and bought 2 big boxes of these cookies and regretted later that I should have brought more boxes as these are so addictive. I would simply gorge on to the cookies until I would finish the last bit of the cookies from the box. Thanks to the supply chain these cookies are now available in almost every city in India and I can buy them whenever I want. Since I had started baking at home, I decided to give the Karachi Bakery style cookies a try.


I love the colour and sweetness that tutty fruity brings to the cookies and a little bit salty taste that comes from the salt added to the dough. To make these cookies rich, some chopped cashew nuts are also added to the batter. Prepare the log, freeze it for a couple of hours and you are done. Cut and bake the cookies.




Here's what you would need to make these Fruit Cookies:

115 gms/ 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
100 gms/ 1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
100 gms/ 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
30 gms/ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup Tutti Fruity
2 tbsp chopped Cashew nuts

Here's how you can make it:

Preheat your oven to 160°C/ 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • In a large bowl of your stand mixer using paddle attachment or using hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla extract and mix it well. Scrap down the sides of the bowl as required.
  • Add salt and flour and mix it well until the dough starts to come together.
  • Add tutti-fruity and cashew nuts and form a soft dough. 
  • Make the dough into a log shape, cover it with a cling film and freeze it for at least a couple of hours to overnight. I kept my log overnight.
  • With the help of a serrated knife, cut the log into 1/2 inch wide slices. You may shape the cookies with your hands if it breaks.
  • Keep the cookie slices onto the baking tray leaving few inches gap between each other and bake for about 10-12 minutes until the cookies turn brown from sides. Turn the baking tray front to back half way through the baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.
These cookies are best to have at tea time or any time you want a sweet kick.;)

Hope you would also enjoy making this cake as much as I did!

Happy Baking!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home